I see three ways for the city to improve the local environment:
- Reduce traffic:
- Replace minimum parking requirements with neighborhood parking districts.
- End taxpayer subsidies for parking and driving. The city uses tax money to build parking structures that lose money every year. The city should stop doing this and instead legalize private parking facilities.
- Make it easy for residents to buy annual bus passes.
- Preserve forests and fields:
- Rezone commercial and industrial districts to Buffered Mixed Use. This will allow more people to live in already developed areas of the city. Without these changes, development will continue just outside the city.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
- Change zoning rules to allow more people to live in smaller homes, where nearby residents consent.
- Make the city more walkable by changing the city’s zoning code to allow neighborhood stores, where nearby residents consent.
- Reduce traffic, using the methods in bullet 1.